About Me

My photo
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Physiotherapist and Research Scholar, ESIC Model Hospital & PG Research Institute- ESICPGIMSR (Under Govt of India),Rajaji Nagar, Bangalore and General Secretary of Bangalore Physiotherapist Network (BPN) 2017-2020

Physiotherapy Jobs Portal

Greetings from Physiotherapy Jobs Portal- www.physiotherapyjobs.co.in-India's first and exclusive registered Job Portal for Physiotherapists.

Physiotherapy Jobs Portal is a registered recruitment service, since 2010
(Service Tax Code & Registration number: DSFPS4451BSD001)

Physiotherapy Jobs Portal delivers valuable Membership benefits that helps Indian Physiotherapists in Job searching and career building.

For queries Call/ WhatsApp @ +91 9916347890/ 9482585828 or mail to: info@physiotherapyjobs.co.in, physiotherapyjobs.einsy@gmail.com

Physiotherapy Jobs Portal Website: www.physiotherapyjobs.co.in

16 Dec 2014

Huntingdon Physiotherapist beats medics to diagnose rare Brachial Neuritis condition

Huntingdon Physiotherapist beats medics to diagnose rare Brachial Neuritis condition

A Physiotherapist from Huntingdon has successfully diagnosed a rare debilitating condition which had left medical professionals stumped.
The discovery by extended scope practitioner Emma James came after 58-year-old Melodie Francis suffered severe pain in her shoulder despite being previously fit and healthy.
Melodie, from Hemingford Abbots, was referred to Emma by her GP after a number of prescribed medications did little to alleviate her pain.
It was then that Emma, who works for suspected Melodie might have developed Brachial Neuritis, an inflammation of the shoulder, arm and hand nerves which can eventually damage muscles and reduce mobility.
Emma explained: "Brachial Neuritis usually only affects men and I've seen just four cases in the last year.
"It can be very difficult to diagnose because severe shoulder pain can have lots of different causes.
"But Melodie told me that she had recently suffered a series of chest infections and Brachial Neuritis is often preceded by a viral infection, so I arranged for a series of tests that were needed to confirm my suspicions and rule out other conditions."
Melodie, a former nurse with the Addenbrooke's palliative care team said: "I started feeling pain in my shoulder after leaving work one evening, but by the next day the pain was unbearable.
"It took some time for a confirmed diagnosis, but I'm really grateful to Emma for her expert help.
"Unfortunately, there is no cure, but the right medication can help alleviate the symptoms and people do sometimes improve over time.
"The condition has left me with some disability and weakness in my shoulder, but I consider myself lucky as it can lead to paralysis."
Everyday tasks are more difficult for Melodie now, but she has learned to compensate and just get on with life.
Melodie continued: "My grandchildren know that 'grandma has a poorly arm' and even the youngest ones know to go to my right side now.
"I can't swim anymore but I go to the gym and 'spinning' helps my mobility.
"I also have difficulty sitting for long periods or travelling, as the condition has left me with a protruded shoulder blade which makes it uncomfortable.
She has now been discharged from the physiotherapy service but can self-refer if she needs to.

No comments:

Post a Comment