Issued in Public Interest by: Physiotherapy Jobs Portal
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhanji has expressed satisfaction with the infrastructure in place at all entry points to the country to detect people arriving with symptoms of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD). A health facility to quarantine passengers who show symptoms of the Ebola virus has been set up at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) in New Delhi.
A hoax message of the dreaded Ebola reaching Karnataka has been doing the rounds on social media and WhatsApp. People are recklessly forwarding a message regarding an M.Tech student of NIT, Suratkal, dying of the disease. Dr Narsimalu K., nodal officer at Gandhi Hospital said, “These are all rumours. All the nodal officers of South India are coordinating with each other and in case of any confirmed case, we will intimate all the states.” Dr S. Ramakrishna said “People must follow hand-washing hygiene very strictly.”
News Source: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/140820/nation-current-affairs/article/app-spreads-ebola-rumour-india
Awareness is an important protective measure.Some key resources and organizations are provided below.
• Animal-to-human transmission: Ebola is transmitted through close contact with blood,secretions, organs or bodily fluids of infected animals, including the consumption of contaminated meat.
• Direct contact with deceased person: Contact with a deceased person infected by EVD can spread the disease.
Some patients may experience: rash, red eyes, hiccups, cough, sore throat, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, bleeding inside and outside body.
• Wash hands thoroughly after exposure to public areas including restrooms, airports or general areas
• Isolation of sick patient
• Avoid consumption of animal meat from infected area
• Disinfection of contaminated places
• Public awareness
• Protective clothing for healthcare workers/personnel handling infected patients and animals
• World Health Organization (WHO) website : http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/